Tuesday 18 May 2010

Nakedness & Nudity - Indecent Exposure or a Bare Faced Lie?


Have you ever met someone new, a new friend or acquaintance, a work colleague or even a potential partner perhaps, and they’ve revealed something about themselves you would never have guessed?

That cute looking guy in your office who you always seem to bump into at the water machine and have an awkward sweaty-palmed conversation with about “staying hydrated”? Well guess what - it turns out he’s a Frisbee champion . Or has a PhD in Dendrology. Or is an amateur taxidermist. (Incidentally there aren’t any cute guys in my office that linger around the water machine.... sadly....although I think there might be a man who’s a taxidermist, and come to think of it I’ve definitely seen a Frisbee tucked under his desk).

It doesn’t matter what 'it' is really, it’s just that that is the fantastic thing about people – they have an endless capacity to surprise.

I think it’s because we live with ourselves everyday - and are so used to the workings of our brain, the things we have achieved, and the ways in which we like to amuse ourselves - that we often forget about ourselves that we also have an endless capacity to surprise – perhaps even to shock. We’re so close to our own selves, so familiar with our own sense of who we are as a person, that it’s often incredibly hard to step back for a moment and consider how a 'revelation' about ourselves might suddenly change the way that someone sees us.

Not so long ago I was talking to someone new and I revealed a little 'something' about me. I happened to mention that I work very occasionally as a life model . It’s something I did on a whim - a very well thought out and emotionally motivated ‘whim’ of course - when I was at University. I met a fabulous artist and modelled for him and, since then, for a few different colleges and art schools.

Now, I know this about me and I also know what it’s all about so I often forget that sometimes people just don’t get it, and that in revealing it to someone I can lay myself bare to criticism, misunderstanding or – at best – a slightly bemused expression. What, you take your clothes off? All of them? In front of ..... people???

The ‘surprise’ of being reacquainted with my own capacity to surprise another in revealing this aspect of my personal life prompted me to think. And what it got me thinking about was this;

What is the big deal about nudity? Is it the inevitable connection that people make in their heads between nudity and sex? If so, what is the relation between nudity and sex? And really, when all is said and done, do we reveal more about ourselves by stripping off and baring our bodies, jumping into bed with someone and having sex OR by opening our mouths to reveal something of who we are?

Now, to my mind, nudity is nudity. It doesn’t equal sex. It’s always been my experience that sex is so much more to do with what happens between two people when they have their clothes on than when they have their clothes off. The nudity part is just a functional requirement of having sex; it’s almost incidental, and in any case, it’s not the meaning. Sex, to my mind, is like the full stop at the end of a sentence; there has to be words and meaning beforehand for the full stop to have any purpose. Similarly nudity, taken alone without the context of a fully clothed relationship, is just a full stop; punctuation without any grammatical significance.

Sex, I think, is the punctuation in a fully clothed, content laden, purposeful conversation; sometimes (if you’re lucky) that punctuation is a “!”, sometimes (interestingly) a “?” and sometimes (sadly) just

.

But however our sexual lives are punctuated, and however many “!” we may or may not be blessed with, without the prerequisite of clothing, sex becomes empty grammar.

So if nudity really is something altogether different from sex, what is it about it that causes us to raise our eyebrows?

It is, of course, the feeling that in being nude we open ourselves up to the most terrible of things – to exposure. And not just to exposure per se, but exposure to being human.

It’s very hard to lie about being human when you are in a state of complete nakedness. Particularly when you are life modelling, it’s also very hard to lie about what particular ‘form’ of you human you are; everything is suddenly on show, in all its toned, wobbly or just-plain-saggy glory and you are suddenly no longer “you” but just a nude, a figure, a source of artistic inspiration. It’s scary stuff, admittedly, but there’s also something very liberating about the experience, something very ‘levelling’, and ultimately (as there would be for me) an opportunity for some kind of philosophical reflection.

Nakedness is, in this sense, incredibly exposing. But in a funny kind of way, it’s also perhaps the most potent and effective form of disguise.

When I stand in front of a class full of art students – people who are complete strangers to me – it isn’t me they get to see, but just a body. Don’t get me wrong, art students and teachers are almost always incredibly friendly and appreciative of their models, but at the end of the day nobody is really interested in who I am and what I do, what I think or what I feel, what I had for my breakfast or what I’m going to have for my tea. Having been left very peacefully to sleep through a forty minute pose only to be woken temporarily with a polite request to “change position now” I know very well that it’s not me that’s of interest during a life modelling session, but rather my functional significance as an object with which to practice their drawing.

Likewise, when it comes to sex, there isn’t necessarily anything particularly exposing about it. At least, not if you’re having the kind of sex which I would, according to my ‘definition’ above, consider to be “empty grammar”. If it’s meaningful and truly intimate and preceded by the appropriate amount of clothed conversation then yes, it can be exposing in the most wonderful and beautiful of ways. But this isn’t, I don’t think, always the case.

No, it is not in nudity nor in sex that we expose the most about ourselves, but rather in the words we speak and those small moments of ‘revelation’ when we share something about ourselves with someone for the first time. Peeling off our clothes to bare our bodies as a life model - or to engage in some entirely different kind of naked ‘activity’ – isn’t necessarily a moment of exposure at all but, as I’ve suggested above, actually a moment when we can ‘cover up’ who we really are in the most powerful way.

It’s the incredibly revealing power of words that I personally love and it’s probably for this reason that I take great pleasure in writing. It’s probably also the reason why I try to live my life with an ideal of honesty, of speaking the truth. I mean, if you’re going to ‘reveal’ anything about yourself to anyone, is it not always best to reveal something real, something true? But therein lies a question for another post perhaps.....

For now I want to end this piece back where we began - back at the water machine in the office, having our awkward chat with the cute Frisbee playing taxidermist with a doctorate in the study of woody plants. Now we might not all have such a weird and wonderful list of things to reveal about ourselves but I can guarantee there’s something about all of us which has that same capacity to surprise, to shock, to shift someone’s perspective on who we are. Maybe we’re just too close to see if, but I really do believe that it’s often the things we consider most mundane or boring about ourselves that others consider to be the most interesting or relevant.

For me, such a ‘revelation’ might be found in sharing an anecdote about my life modelling experiences. But even if being an artist’s model isn’t your ‘thing’, I think it’s worth asking yourself what it is about you that has that capacity to surprise and to shock? And it is also, to my mind, definitely worth taking a risk in allowing yourself to become a little ‘exposed’. There’s something very liberating and exciting about inspiring either response in the face of another person, and something even more liberating about revealing something of yourself to the world and saying “this is me”.

But perhaps I’m wrong about all this and you think I’ve missed the point somewhere? I’m never worried about admitting I’m wrong if I really am, and I’ll be the first to acknowledge another point of view if I believe it to be honestly held and well thought out. So now, I’ve revealed a little bit about me in writing this post, why not reveal a little back and tell me what you think.......I’ve showed you mine, isn’t it about time you show me yours?

* The image used is The Model by Tamara de Lempicka, 1925

6 comments:

  1. Hmm... see, to me, you can have the meaningless grammar of sex, without ever broaching the nudity thing. After all, that's what "lights out" is for. You can have the punctuation and the grammar, but in the dark there is no meaning.
    But for sex to be naked. Now that's the point at which the punctuation becomes meaningless. It's more about the poetry than the structure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeeess! A comment! I had a little "!" of excitement when I noted you had taken the time to make a response - so thanks Mike, much appreciated!

    Yes, I definitely agree that "lights out" is a good way to avoid having to even broach the nudity thing when it comes to sex. And I certainly would acknowledge the way in which being in the dark can change things and alter the experience. But I'm not sure that I agree that "in the dark there is no meaning" or, at the very least, I'm not sure I follow your argument.

    That kind of interaction between two people can happen in all manner of ways and places, and under all kinds of 'lighting conditions' - no light, stark light, candlelight, daylight, moonlight even. But isn't that just the context in which the conversation which sex constitutes takes place? It’s the 'how', the 'when' and the 'where', but it's not the 'why' or the 'what for'. Does "lights out" really take away any sense of meaning, or does it perhaps just change the way in which the meaning gets communicated?

    I think I follow your point re the meaningless of punctuation a little better, and it’s an extremely good point to make. I like your comment that "It's more about the poetry than the structure" and would certainly agree with this. But I wonder whether its really posiible to have one without the other?

    Punctuation is a system we use in language in order to help us know what it is it's trying to say to us; it helps us recognise when one sentence ends and another begins, it marks the pauses in speech, the rise and fall of a phrase, and it helps express intonation and mood - perhaps in a very similar way that musical notation such as crescendo or diminuendo marks help express how the music should be played. In short, punctuation helps make meaning clear - this doesn't, of course, mean it constitutes it. Its just one of the features of language which help to make it any sense at all, along with a whole other host of features including metre, rhyme, metaphor, etc etc, the list goes on.

    My point about sex as 'empty grammar' was that if you take the 'punctuation' out of context, and lose sight of all the other stuff which needs to accompany it - what you perhaps (and I also) might call the 'poetry', then all you really have are random marks on a page.

    So I'm not sure its fair to say that when sex is naked "that's the point at which the punctuation becomes meaningless". It is perhaps rather that this is the point at which the punctuation becomes meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think maybe my point is more transient. If the punctuation can be hidden by having the lights out, then it's perfectly possible to get all the grammar and punctuation right, but have a sentence without meaning. The nakedness in the dark is so very different.
    But to entrust your nakedness to someone who matters. With the lights on. Then, the punctuation might be wobbly, and the grammar may not be quite right, but there's a certain beauty in the poetry. Because it poetry, the meaning is conveyed by the grammar or the punctuation, but by something much more nuanced.
    The nudity of life modelling may well present grammar, and punctuation and all manner of linguistics. But it's textbook. You open yourself to scrutiny, but in a far more technical way. But the nudity of sex. It's like sharing a poem where the words only take on meaning when understood by the reader.

    Sex can be just punctuation, or it can be a sentence. But if it's naked and known, then actually the punctuation can become incidental to the significance of the verse.

    Maybe there's something about the union of nakedness and sex that transcends them both? Or maybe that's just me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't I reply to this again? Has it disappeared or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very well written blog entry, I enjoyed it and love surprising people. I guess I love the idea of smashing someone's pre-judgement of you, whether that means they presumed you'd be a certain way, or they thought you were the "frisbee" guy, or they thought you didn't like sports, or jazz, or they never thought of you as a dancer...it's a joy to shock them, people aren't that one-dimensional. Well, at least they don't have to be, some people are one-dimensional...

    It's interesting, I know a lot of women who, there main interest is in dating, it's in finding a man...so they spend a lot of time shopping, doing their hair, makeup, fantasizing about what kind of guy they're going to date, talking about the men they've dated and the problems they have with me, or dating men that don't work out. I wonder, who are you? Who are you without him...so as an aside, they are sort of one-dimensional, and a lot of their struggles is that they aren't doing what they love to do...there are TV shows like Sex & the City and movies, "He's Just Not that Into You" which are dedicated to this type of woman...and I think if these women had more surprises, they'd be more interesting and more successful with men. Not to be misogynist, I like women and I think there are some awesome women out there, it's just that society puts a lot of pressure on them to find a man. A lot of their self esteem is tied to having a man.

    How does this digression tie into your blog, well, for me, the sex part is something we have to do as humans, we're hard-wired by instinct to want to procreate, that's what we do, eat, drink, use the toilet and rut...(so to speak). On a very primal level that's what's it all about...we're just like paramecium or amoebas...we want to further our genetic data and survive ourselves. We add on all sorts of layers of complexity to make sex significant, spiritual and gratifying, but what really sets us apart from animals, is that emotional bond of relating to other humans. Has it been an evolutionary mutation which has lead to the furthering of our species, most certainly...but the fact that we are sentient and have an ability to question and analyze what we are doing and how we are interacting is what gives it a whole another meaning that transcends.

    Now being naked in front of people, it's their hang up, or turn on. Since it's not our normal state of appearing in front of others, it is disarming and therefore a surprise...if we look at you naked, or you look at me, shouldn't we hope to feel something? I think if we were non-plussed by the experience that might be a sad thing...the surprise, as ee cummings might put it, "the shock of electric fur" (I might be quoting here or paraphrasing), is indeed a surprise and the way he poetically phrases it, well, it's definitely a good surprise!

    Sorry if this is a rambling comment, it is not intended to necessarily have a thesis, but is merely a comment that took a few turns here and there...and by the way, sometimes sex can lead to my favorite punctuation...an ellipsis.

    ReplyDelete